Sunday, October 5, 2014

How to delete old video files

I was worrying about how much video files my Raspberry Pi can store. Once I get the survaillance camera recording 24/7, it will fill up the SD card quick. That's why I tried to use H.264 encoder, which will compress the video file by 90%. But still my SD card is not big enough to hold more than 30 days or 60 days.

Handling files is easier with shell script. So I have a crontab registered with "find".

  • -mtime: how old date from today
  • -type f: files only; not directories
  • -delete: delete them
I tested the command without "-delete" keyword and it seemed to be working. I will see a month later if I can increase the day count little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Tomorrow may not come, so I want to do my best now.